Family mediation offers you an alternative way of resolving your family problems as opposed to the traditional solicitor/court route approach.
It is an opportunity for you and your ex-partner to meet with an impartial third-party (the mediator) who will give you pragmatic guidance and legal information to help you in reaching your own resolutions. This is known as ‘assisted negotiation’.
When you are at a point of crisis it is not unusual for either of you to seek legal advice from a family solicitor and in some cases, the matter can only be resolved via court intervention. This however is not the only route to solving family problems – mediation can be a better alternative.
Benefits of family mediation
By choosing mediation you can:
- Explore all issues arising out of your relationship breakdown in complete confidence
- Be impartially informed about and evaluate possible choices
- Find common ground
- Work at a pace agreed and controlled by you
- Work at your own negotiated agenda
- Find compromise solutions
- but reach partial understandings
- Look forward without judgements about the past
- Gain understanding and trust
- Model a co-operative future relationship and not further conflict
- Think together about your children’s needs and future well-being
- Work to find comprehensive solutions to all issues including finance, property and children’s arrangements
In addition to the above, mediation reduces financial costs and limits the stress and anxiety that you and your ex-partner will experience during your relationship breakdown.
Research studies have shown that family disputes resolved via mediation are less acrimonious than those that are settled through the Court system. Further, decisions made by the parties by agreement are more likely to be kept as opposed to Court imposed Orders.
The costs of mediation will be a lot cheaper than going through solicitors or court to resolve your disputes. For details on private costs and if you are interested in family mediation as a solution to your current situation, please contact me and give your telephone number; my PA, Lisa Lamont will call you to arrange a mutually convenient assessment meeting and will clarify any questions that you may have.