Inspiring separating couples to make their own informed decisions

Child Support

Child support can often be a tricky matter for separating couples to agree upon. The Government is seeking to encourage and support parents in reaching their own agreements on child maintenance.

The parent with primary care of the child will be entitled to maintenance from the other parent to help in the day to costs of bringing up the child.

Please see a very useful guide to arranging child support through the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) here.

If you are able to agree to a maintenance figure, the Court can approve the agreement in a financial consent Order setting out the terms of your settlement. However, either parent can go to the CSA upon the expiry of one year from the date of the Court Order for an assessment.

If there is no Order, either you or your ex-partner can apply to the CMS for an assessment at any time. If one of you are resident abroad, the Court can deal with child maintenance and the CMS cannot make an assessment unless the payer works for a UK Government or a company with headquarters in the UK.


Please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: